10.16.2007

Social Networking Goes Mobile

If you're a facebook junkie like me, you probably check your profile a few times a day, have at least 20 apps downloaded and read your news feeds more closely than any major publication. I love facebook, but it has one fatal flaw..mobile access.

I can't tell you how many times I've tried to login to facebook on my blackberry and been denied. Yet, I try again and again because I want...nay...NEED access to my network's information when I'm not in front of my computer.

Zuckerberg isn't moving in that direction quickly enough, though, so others are doing it for him. Personally, I'm psyched about the rash of mobile networking start-ups delivering products that may eventually unseat social networking champions MySpace and facebook. Some obvious early examples come to mind, such as twitter, etc, but my favorite to date is one you may not know of...yet.

I was priveleged to be invited to Styky's alpha testing last March and haven't been able to stop thinking about it since. Previously, I'd heard a bit about what Styky founder Kunal Gupta was working on, but didn't quite get it until I had the chance to play with the tool firsthand. The company announced Styky's launch at TechCrunch and it's been all up-hill since then. Styky has lots of cool functionality already (phonebook sharing, picture sharing, mobile couponing, even a handy facebook app to grab phone numbers from your network), but I'm even more excited about it's future potential. Doesn't the idea of a future twitter + styky + facebook + Google solution make you druel? Me too!

Have you heard of other great mobile social networking solutions? If you have, please let me know- I'd love to explore!

No comments: